Friday, July 3, 2009

Weird Habits: Clothing

Have you ever noticed random weird habits? In recent days, I’ve noticed some of my hiccups in life. The most prominent on is my feelings towards clothing. I don’t dress up; I don’t wear skirts, dresses, and such unless for events. It’s funny how a small frustration from my childhood such as clothing can manifest beyond control. I love these types of clothes, yet I don’t wear them out for day to day life. It has grown to the point where people make remarks when I do. Ironically, it’s those comments that help push me further and further from wearing them.

You see growing up I was a tomboy. Big surprise there! By the time I started coming out of that stage and attempted to grow into my own it was immensely awkward. For with, “Oh my G-d! You’re in a skirt! Where are you going!?!” comments came a cringe. It would be that big of deal, but it happens every time. For me all that did was cause me not to want to wear skirts. I’ll wear jeans to the point it’s sickening. Even today, I get those same comments. Not once has anyone just said, “You look nice.” Still to this day I do the same thing I’ve done since I was a teenager; I put on a nice outfit and then change into jeans and a t-shirt. How sad is it that I have clothes that I love that has never seen the outside of my house.

It’s funny how this compounded with the ‘shoe wars!’ For those who don’t have shoe wars, I will explain. A shoe war is the never-ending battle to find shoes. I have size 10 feet (okay go ahead and get the comments out of your system), which makes finding shoes a battle. Over time it can become a war. For there have been many times that I would find something that I like; but I would lose the shoe war. At one point in my life I would buy shoes that fit in hopes that one day I would find clothes that would work with the shoes- pretty sad. From sneakers to dress shoes, it’s a battle. I’ve have lost so many battles that it has overtime become a war. In some cases I have succeeded in the fight. Sneakers are a good example, I use Saucony’s the search in the women’s section takes about 5 seconds for they seem to be a rarer than the pot of gold under the rainbow. Flip-flops have sparked road trips to Cocoa to hit up the Ron Jon’s.

1 comments:

sol said...

Fuck 'em all! Wear your skirts and dresses, and wear them with confidence! Then when you get the questions, answer "Just because" or "No where special" and put the smile on that you were talking about and MEAN it!It's not about them, it's about you! What makes you happy Denise? Follow your own path, create new ones, and fuck the rest! :)

Sorry, I can't help you with the shoe war...I don't have that problem with a size 7 LOL :D

Love ya!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
When the student is ready, the master appears. ~Buddhist Proverb