Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nothing Special

I didn't write this.

AROUND THE CORNER

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end;
Yet days go by, and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a year is gone,
And I never see my old friend's face,
For Life is a swift and terrible race.
He knows I like him just as well
As in the days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine. We were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men:
Tired with playing a foolish game,
Tired with trying to make a name.
"Tomorrow," I say "I will call on Jim,
Just to show that I'm thinking of him."
But tomorrow comes-and tomorrow goes,
And the distance between us grows and grows
Around the corner!-yet miles away...
"Here's a telegram sir..."
"Jim died today."
And that's what we get, and deserve in the end:
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

CHARLES HANSON TOWNE


On a side note:

A close friend lost someone very dear to them. A myriad of thoughts have gone threw my head this last week with this news. In the end I realized that I spend a lot of time on nothing. Not calling. Not talking. I'm not a talker. I realized that I am alone. Yes there are people that surround me, but there are many that I have not spoken to in years. As my friend morns her lost. I go threw the self realization that we (as a society) need to take a step back and tell the people around us that we love them. For no one knows when the telegram will come.

1 comments:

sol said...

that poem is sad but true...
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
seize the day and place no trust in tomorrow
love you man!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
When the student is ready, the master appears. ~Buddhist Proverb