Monday, April 12, 2010

#26 De-clutter My Life: Part 1

I'm surrounded by things in my house. As I look around they don't really hold as much of a value as they once did. That's how this task made it into my day zero list.  Currently I have completed 16% of my tasks.  Decluttering would be a get idea, however here I am trying to downsize my house. As I try and clean out my house of the little things becomes more of a chore than a quick fix that I had orginally assumed it would be.

Let us start of with the bedroom.  This should be a simple fix right?  Not so much.  In the beginning I pulled everything out again and verified what I needed and what I really wouldn't wear. Yet again I as able to let go of somethings. As I placed everything back into the closet it still doesn't look like I made a dent. But now I have clothes that I THINK I might wear. The dresser produced the same results.   As for the other things in the bedroom area those were simple choices.

The living room will take longer to complete. I plan on getting rid of my entertainment center. This in itself will create a lot of loose items that I need to figure out if I need it and where I want to put them once the entertainment center is gone. The office will have its own issues. As I will have to first downsize my paper trail. Once that's complete I need to consolidate my two bookshelves into one.  As for the desktop I will be converting it into a media center for my home theatre.  This will result in having to convert either my old laptops to monitors or something useful.

It is my goal to complete both my living room and office this weekend.   As my goal is to get down to owning only what I need. For I think I have spent the last eight...yes eight collecting nice to haves.  Now I look around and see my nice to haves as these meaningless things that have consumed me.


 



May I leave you with quotes that explain my current thoughts. And yes they are strangely scattered.

"The things you own end up owning you.".  -chuck palahniuk

"It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to anything."- chuck palahniuk

"Youre not the car you drive. You are not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis" - chuck palahniuk's fight club

I need to be free of these things that are holding me down.  For they are preventing my wings from spreading.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
When the student is ready, the master appears. ~Buddhist Proverb