Monday, December 28, 2009

Reasons why I’m creating lists

As a child I remember thinking, "I'm going to become a veterinarian. I'll marry be the time I'm 25. I'll save a million dollars and retire by 30. I'll have kids when I'm 31." It's funny how simple those dreams were as a child. No concept of defeat or setbacks; let alone the concept of age. Here I am on the verge of 36 and not one of those childhood dreams has come true. I have hit my proverbial wall in life. Some call it a mid-life crisis and others a transition. I would like to call it my awakening.

Last month I was rejected for a career promotion. This is the first time since junior high that I have wanted something and not been able to get it. Granted being junior high treasurer is not a cool position, it did end my pursuits in politics (a good thing I guess). Like everyone else I don't handle rejection well. I tend to reassess myself. I looked at this rejection as a personal ding, not a path changer for the first couple of days. As my previous post have eluded to..I'm over it. I'm moving on.

The inability for career advancement has made me realize so many other things; some good and some bad. I have not met my goals. So it's time to make new goals; goals which are everyday in nature and others that are aiming for the moon. My map in life has been changed. I am recalculating. Setting new goals is part of the change. I'm creating 3 lists.

  1. the infamous bucket list
  2. a 5 year plan (with a little more backwards planning to ensure those goals)
  3. a 1001 things in 1000 days


 

In the couple of weeks I will be posting the 1001 things in 1000 days and highlights from the other lists. I will try and keep you posted with the updates from these lists.


 


 

As a good friend says…let me leave you with this:

  • I have friends that despite my faults will kick me when I'm down and kick me in the ass when I won't get up.
  • I cannot make in life without a little help from my friends.
  • When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
  • You don't learn from your failures, you will always be average.

1 comments:

sol said...

love the ending...I give this blog a thumbs up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
When the student is ready, the master appears. ~Buddhist Proverb